Sunday, July 27, 2008

Last day in the Tetons

Man am I ever going to miss this place.

This is a tough location to shoot because there are so many things that need to be done in the morning hours. Midday is tough, and sunset fades the mountains out, so in this park, which is on the east side of the Grand Teton range, you really need to do all of your filming during sunrise. This makes for some hectic mornings.

On this morning, I got up at 4am to be out to this location at 4:30. The temperature was 41 degrees by this point. There were some old barns that were just begging to be photographed in front of the peaks at sunrise, so I obliged.

While the sun does rise at around 5am, it doesn't actually get over the peaks to my east (thereby lighting up my view) until about 6:30am. So I essentially spent two hours standing in a field in the dark and cold for no reason. I had other problems as well. The entire time I was out there, a gigantic herd of bison were moving through. Just as the sun was finally beginning to get above the eastern mountains, this guy decided to have a bit of a turf war.
"I was here first" wasn't working. I thought we were going to come to blows. I did not stand out here for two hours only to get kicked out at the magic moment by an overgrown cow.
He brought his friends.

Luckily, after watching me yell like an idiot for ten minutes, they slowly moseyed on past and left me alone.

It is hard to leave Wyoming, but this is a long time to be alone with your thoughts, and so I'm ready to get back. It is also a lot of work to camp solo. The economics of camping solo are poor; It has what we would call a high fixed cost, or in economic terms, poor economies of scale at the solo level. It takes a lot of work to get all the dishes out of the bear bin and get a fire going, but then you only get one meal out of it. With two people, it is the same fixed cost - which can be split - and a very small variable cost to cook twice as much food. The same can be said for setting up the tent, etc.

I think the decision to come home a few days earlier was the right one. Sarah's bar exam starts tomorrow, and I have another four weeks of travel I need to plan. I hope you all have enjoyed the photos. This is by no means the end of the road.

No comments: